Monday, October 26, 2009

'Tis the Season to Seal

File this under the category of tip that I should have known. I took on the task last night of installing rubber gaskets around our basement outside doors. Wanting to keep the cold (and millipedes) from coming in, I bought the premium rubberized gasket that provided heavy duty protection when the doors are shut. What I DIDN"T do was check the size of the door gap I had before installing them. Yep, the doors wouldn't shut all the way once it was installed. So after ripping it off and reinstalling it differently a few times, I got it to work. Now time will tell if there is enough adhesive still on there to keep them in place. So the tip? Well, invariably you are going to have some gasket left over after your project. So before you even start, snip a 1 inch piece off and install it where you intend to install all of it and see if the thickness will allow you to close your doors fully. If they do, that's great. If they don't, go buy something thinner and save that thicker stuff for somewhere around your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment